Friday 23 March 2012

Dream Boat Hat






Last year I met Polly Dunbar as she visited Hebden Bridge whilst speaking at Lumb Bank writers retreat.
She asked me if I would be able to make her a hat to depict the front cover of her next book. I of course said I could, and when she returned to Brighton she sent me some of her illustrations and I started working out how it would be constructed.
Using felt, silk, paint and threads I began to cut out the hull of the boat in pink and green millinery felt and once I had the right shape the rest fell into place. The sails are made from white raw silk and the rod polka dots are hand painted in fabric paint.
So that Polly can wear it easily it is worn on a hat elastic.
The book has now been published and no doubt will become another firm favourite with parents and children alike.
Polly has written many wonderful books all of which you can find on her delightful website www.pollydunbar.com
What a delightful commission.! Thank you Polly.
SHARE:

4 comments

Swirlyarts said...

I remember you telling me about this. It looks wonderful!

katemotherof2 said...

How well you have brought Polly's illustration to life. Well done . It makes me want to read the book even tho' I'm an adult!

kodomo pie~ said...

hi,
will u make another one of this for sale?
my daughter loves the dream boat very much,

Hat Therapy said...

Hello Kodmo Pie
So sorry I have not replyed to your request re the boat hat. I wonder if you would send me another e- mail.Regards Chrissie.

© Hat Therapy . All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig